The Office of Retirement Services receives a copy of the Notice of Separation at which time they send a Return of Contributions (ROC) packet to you giving you the options available.

If you have less than 10 years of service, you can either request a ROC or request to have the contributions rolled over to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

If you have more than 10 years, you can choose either of the above options, or you can choose to leave your contributions in the retirement fund until you are eligible to retire and begin collecting a benefit. This is classified as a Deferred Vested retiree.

At the beginning of the year in which you turn 55 years of age and 20 years have elapsed from date of membership, the Office of Retirement Services will send an application for your completion. Your retirement date will be the date of your 55th birthday.

Your personal contributions are yours; however, the only way to collect any of the City’s contributions is to retire from City service and draw a monthly pension.