Tax Information 

Note: ORS does not offer tax or legal advice. On this page, ORS is providing certain tax-related information to you but is not providing tax advice. For questions regarding tax or legal matters, consult with a professional advisor; the  Internal Revenue Service  or  Franchise Tax Board. 

Tax Withholdings

When you retire, you submit a completed tax withholding form to ORS.  

  • State Income Tax Withholding: ORS only withholds state income taxes for California. ORS does NOT withhold state income tax for any other state. 
          - If you reside or move out of state, California income tax will not be withheld, and an updated Tax Withholding form must be submitted. 
  • If you reside outside of the U.S.: for information and instructions, please see IRS Form and EDD Form DE-4P. 

Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA) Annual Notice 

The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA) requires that ORS notify retired members each year that they may change their tax withholding election. 

ORS TEFRA Annual Tax Withholding Notice  

Changing your Tax Withholding 

Because your tax situation can change from year to year, you may want to adjust the federal or California state withholding amounts deducted from your monthly benefit payment. There are a few ways to change your tax withholding. 

Mail or fax the following completed documents to ORS:

Tax Forms

California Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments  

IRS Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments  

FAQ IRS Form W-4P and W-4R  

1099-R Annual Tax Reporting Statement 

  • 1099-R tax forms are mailed by the end of January each year. 
  • If you recently moved, be sure to update your mailing address using the Change of Address Form
  • You can access and download your tax statements online by logging in to the Member Portal. 
  • To request a duplicate or replacement 1099-R tax form by mail, contact us by phone at (800) 732-6477 or by email 
  • Your 1099-R tax form includes the amount of retirement income you received during the tax year.